Thursday, August 18, 2011

Things I drool over: The Celine Luggage Tote

I’ve recently been on the hunt for a new everyday work bag. I prefer a larger tote to something smaller, as my job sometimes requires me to go from the office to a restaurant to a concert to a bar, and so on; therefore, having the extra space for a make-up bag, some ballet flats or Havianas (if it’s summer), or even my laptop at times…well let’s just say the larger tote is necessary and comes in handy more often than not.

Be that as it may, I find that the older I get, the more expensive my taste gets. Perhaps this comes from loving fashion and living in New York City, or perhaps this comes from my mom, who used to always teach my sister and I that looking your best was always top priority (especially when going to the doctor’s office or flying). Either way, I’ve been cursed with the ever growing desire to want things that are ridiculously pricy—and way out of my budget. Therefore, during my recent bag search, I’ve naturally been browsing all things Louis Vuitton, Miu Miu, Marc Jacobs, Chloe and yes…Hermes, as my obsession with the Birkin, and maybe one day owning one, is never ending. Sadly, I truly just can’t finance such a grand purchase at the moment—no matter how much I tell myself it’s a great investment. But I can dream, can’t I?

The dreaming has lead me to this…my latest love: the Celine Luggage tote.
I spotted her online a while back, on the arm of Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester (total girl crush!) . The design aesthetic totally blew me away; especially the pieces that were tri-colored. Celine has had a knack [more recently] for using color blocking and color contrasting on many accessories, and it’s so very fantastic.
During a trip to Miami this past April, I saw said Leighton Meester tote in person in a boutique on Lincoln Road and I just had to snap a picture, she was so gorgeous.


The navy, camel and cream—3 classic colors—all contrasting against one another in such a beautiful, delicate design most definitely made me drool. And those straps! Perfect for my favorite bag-holding spot—right in the crook of the arm.

Here are some of my other favorites, along with Leighton and her version of the bag as well.

 
 She is gorgeous! Look at those legs. Gotta love a beautiful brunette with great style!

I’m not always a big fan of animal prints, but this bag could change my mind. Plus, they are so very "in" this fall!
Beautiful photo as well.


Apart of their ad campaign, and I'm so obsessed! Pairing it with a skateboard?
FANTASTIC!


 A flawlessly dressed Kourtney Kardashian carrying another animal print version of the bag.



Here is some information from the old-faithful Wikipedia regarding the Celine fashion brand:
Céline is a French luxury house founded in 1945 by Céline Vipiana. Today, it is an international luxury goods brand owned by LVMH, purchased in 1996 for 2.7 billion French francs ($540 million).[1]
Céline was originally created as a made-to-measure children’s shoe business that eventually grew into women’s shoes and accessories.[2] The ready-to-wear line debuted in the 1960s. Beautiful classical lines and styles, history of classical designs that withstand time
American fashion designer Michael Kors was named the first ever women’s ready-to-wear designer and creative director for Celine in 1997.[3] During his tenure at Céline, Kors turned the fashion house around with blockbuster accessories and a critically acclaimed ready-to-wear line. Kors designed for the label until 2004. Italian designer Roberto Menichetti was named creative director. After a disappointing year, Menichetti was replaced by Croatian designer Ivana Omazic. Omazic was a former consultant for the brand and previously worked with Romeo Gigli, Prada, Jil Sander, and Miu Miu.
On September 4, 2008, the influential fashion portal WWDFashion announced that Bernard Arnault, president of LVMH, appointed Phoebe Philo as the new creative director of Céline. Philo started at Celine in October 2008 and presented her first Celine ready-to-wear collection for Spring/Summer 2010 at Paris Fashion Week to rave reviews. Philo replaces Ivana Omazić, who, according to LVMH, failed to transform this second league brand into an essential flagship of worldwide prêt-à-porter. “By giving Philo Céline, we’re giving her a platform to express her vision,” said Pierre-Yves Roussel, chief executive officer of LVMH’s fashion division which owns Céline.
As of 2010 Philo has shown two collections for the house, receiving highly enthusiastic reviews from fashion editors worldwide and great customer response to her aesthetic.

This bag is way, way out of my price range so I've spent quite a bit of time scouring the stores and online world for something that MAY come close. I actually spotted something similiar in Zara earlier today...


 



This bag retails for just $89.90, and it is the closest I have come to the Celine Luggage Tote so far!
What do you think? Is Zara's City Bag a good match?




1 comment: